Re: another query optimization question

От David Teran
Тема Re: another query optimization question
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

> I'm not sure ... I thought I ran it on my P4 here in the office and
> saw it
> too, albeit not near as frequently ... but, in FreeBSD's case, it is a
> "design issue" ... there are two different functions, once that is
> kinda
> fuzzy (but fast), and the other that is designed to be exact, but at a
> performance loss ... or was it the same function, but a 'sysctl'
> variable
> that changes the state?
>
> Can't remember which, but it is by design on FreeBSD ... and, if we're
> talking about Apple, the same most likely applies, as its based on the
> same kernel ...
>
> Back of my mind, I *think* it was these sysctl variables:
>
> kern.timecounter.method: 0
> kern.timecounter.hardware: i8254

I will try to check this on my system.

But here another hint, maybe more interesting for Apple though: The bug
does -not- occur if another process uses a lot of CPU time. We encoded
a quicktime movie into mpeg2 and while this was using about 90% and
while encoding the vcd i wanted to show the bug to a friend and it did
not work.

But besides this, is there any chance that we can optimize our initial
performance problem ;-)

regards David