Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Jun 15, 2022, at 7:21 PM, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
>> If a user does that for a table that doesn't support clustering, well, I don't
>> see what's gained by not erroring out.
>
> Perhaps they want to give the TAM information about which index to use for sorting, on those occasions when the TAM's
logicdictates that sorting is appropriate, but not in response to a cluster command.

I should admit that this is a bit hack-ish, but TAM authors haven't been left a lot of options here.  Index AMs allow
forcustom storage parameters, but Table AMs don't, so getting information to the TAM about how to behave takes more
thana little slight of hand.  Simon's proposal from a while back (don't have the link just now) to allow TAMs to define
customstorage parameters would go some distance here.

—
Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Mark Dilger
Сообщение: Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Modest proposal to extend TableAM API for controlling cluster commands