Re: how to create a sequence in a stored proc?

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: how to create a sequence in a stored proc?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Apr 27, 2012, at 9:35 AM, J.V. wrote:

> Right, I understand that fully, and have used SQL inside a stored proc before, but in this case as I mentioned, I
needto first do a select from a table to get a max value, store that in a variable and then use that variable in a
createsequence sql statement.

Another approach would be to create the sequence then set the value - you can do that without needing anything more
thanSQL:

  create sequence foo
  select setval('foo', (select max(bar) from baz)

> so I need to construct a string that contains the create sequence statement and execute that string, at least this is
theway it is done in Oracle.

> I do not know how to use a variable in a create sequence statement in PostgreSQL.

It depends on the language you're using. For plpgsql it's covered in more detail in the docs, but you could do
somethinglike:

  create function make_sequence() returns void as $$
    declare
      newvalue integer;
    begin
      select max(bar)+1 from baz into newvalue;
      execute 'create sequence foo start ' || newvalue;
    end;
  $$ language plpgsql;

Cheers,
  Steve