Re: Postgres 7.3.1 poor insert/update/search performance

От Brian Hirt
Тема Re: Postgres 7.3.1 poor insert/update/search performance
Дата
Re: Postgres 7.3.1 poor insert/update/search performance
Список pgsql-performance
Tom and others:

There has been a lot of talk about  shared memory size recently, along
with many conflicting statements from various people.  Earlier threads
said that setting the shared buffer to a high values (like 512MB on a
2GB dedicated DB server) is not a good idea.  A couple of reasons were
mentioned.  a) potential inefficiencies with the kernel and VM system
b) modern kernels aggressive  caching with all free memory and c) the
shared memory stealing from memory the kernel would use to cache, etc.

So my question is:  if the kernel is caching all this data, what's the
benefit of setting this to 1000 or higher?   Why wouldn't i just set it
to 0 if I believe my kernel is doing a good job.

 From all the discussion on this topic, it's still not clear to me how
to calculate what value this should be set at and why.  I've read these
documents and others and have yet to find explanations and
recommendations that i can use.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance.pdf
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?runtime-config.html
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?performance-tips.html
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/node6.html
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/momjian/hw_performance/node5.html
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/faq-english.html#3.6

This is such a common topic, it would be nice to see a more definitive
and comprehensive section in the docs for tuning.  Google searches for
"shared_buffers site:www.postgresql.org" and "tuning
site:www.postgresql.org" come up with little info.

FYI: I've been running our database which is mostly read only with 1500
buffers.  On a whole, we  see very little IO.  postgresql  performs
many many million queries a day, many simple, many complex.  Though the
database is relatively small, around 3GB.

--brian