RE: Multiple Spindles ( Was: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed )

От Ansley, Michael
Тема RE: Multiple Spindles ( Was: Re: [HACKERS] [hackers]development suggestion needed )
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
But it's not quite this simple.  In our production system, we have reference
data in one tablespace, reference indices in another, working data in a
third space, and work indices in a fourth.  This is because the amount of
working data throughput is extremely high, while the reference data,
although changing reasonably frequently, changes significantly less than the
working data.  This is then normally spread across five spindles, with
Oracle being in the fifth.  On a 32-processor HP.

I think a good solution is to be able to specify where on the disk the table
is created (absolute paths only), and then postgres symlinks that file in
the main data directory, so from that point on it referenced without the
path name.  That's probably a significant start.

Alternatively, we could create "directoryspaces", which treats a directory
as a tablespace.  Then you do this:

CREATE TABLE foo (id_foo int, name varchar(30)) TABLESPACE
"/data/pgdata/sys1ref";

to create the new file /data/pgdata/sys1ref/foo, and a symlink is created in
the main db directory, so that you can just SELECT * FROM foo;

This is not difficult at all, or am I missing something?  Only real issue
(possibly) is security regarding the tablespace.  It might be an idea to
allow only the superuser to add allowed directories (i.e.: "create"
tablespaces), and assign user access to those tablespaces.

MikeA