RE: [HACKERS] 6.6 release

От Peter Mount
Тема RE: [HACKERS] 6.6 release
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I'm also confused. So far, I've been working on the premise that the
next release would be 7.0 because of the probably major additions
expected, and that I'm hitting the JDBC driver hard to get as much of
the 2.0 spec complete as is possible.

I think, if the other changes are going to be that long, the version for
beta on Feb 1st should be 7.0, and have WAL (and others) for 8.0.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support
Maidstone Borough Council

-----Original Message-----
From: The Hermit Hacker [mailto:scrappy@hub.org]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 7:09 AM
To: Tom Lane
Cc: Bruce Momjian; PostgreSQL-development
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release

[snipped toms comments]

Wait, now I'm confused...so between 6.6 and 7, we're talking another
year
anyway? *raised eyebrow*  Just curious about your 'long slog' above :)

Here's a question...should we beta on Feb 1st but make it 7.0?  If we
are
going to be looking for a "long slog" for 7, why not "freeze" things on
Feb 1st as v7, and start working on v8 with WAL, long tuples, etc,
etc...

Like, what point do we call things a major release?  In a sense, MVCC
probably should have been considered a large enough overhaul to warrant
7.0, no?

Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org
primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary:
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org