Huge problem with upper/lower and foreign chars

От Victor Spång Arthursson
Тема Huge problem with upper/lower and foreign chars
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ciao again!

I just ran into a huge problem with the functions upper and lower…

It turns out, that when converting the case of foreign characters,
like åäö, they stay as they were from the beginning…

Example:

SQL = select 'test åÄöØ', upper('test åÄöØ'), lower('test åÄöØ')

Result:

?column?    upper                  lower
test åÄöØ    TEST åÄöØ        test åÄöØ

This makes searches impossible for me, since postgres is case sensitive…

I would really really appreciate some input on this matter…

Best regards,

Victor Spång Arthursson