Re: Optimizer : query rewrite and execution plan ?

От Roberts, Jon
Тема Re: Optimizer : query rewrite and execution plan ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> > Since the SQL is not your fault and difficult to control, it is an
> > argument in favour of an optional planner mode that would perform
> > additional checks for redundant clauses of various kinds. The
default
> > for that would be "off" since most people don't suffer from this
> > problem. BO isn't the only SQL generating-client out there, so I
think
> > this is a fairly wide problem.
>
> I would have to disagree. I spend a lot of time writing code that
> generates SQL from a business app and feel strongly that any
> optimisation is my responsibility.

The point to a BI tool like BO is to abstract the data collection and do
it dynamically.  The SQL is built at run time because the tool is
designed to give the end user as much flexibility as the data structure
allows to query the data however they want.

It isn't feasible, possible, or recommended to rewrite all of the
possible generated SQL that could be designed at runtime by the tool.

Jon