Re: Version Numbering

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: Version Numbering
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Aug 20, 2010, at 2:10 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> 9.0.0 is less than 9.0.0anything.  Unless you wire some specific
> knowledge of semantics of particular letter-strings into the comparison
> algorithm, it's difficult to come to another decision, IMO.

That's what Semantic versions do. From the spec's #3:

> A special version number MAY be denoted by appending an arbitrary string immediately following the patch version. The
stringMUST be comprised of only alphanumerics plus dash [0-9A-Za-z-] and MUST begin with an alpha character [A-Za-z].
Specialversions satisfy but have a lower precedence than the associated normal version. Precedence SHOULD be determined
bylexicographic ASCII sort order. For instance: 1.0.0beta1 < 1.0.0beta2 < 1.0.0.

I'm comfortable with this because it's consistent with what people expect when they read a version number.

Best,

David