Re: [HACKERS] psql's \d and \dt are sending their complaints to different output files

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] psql's \d and \dt are sending their complaints to different output files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 27 Jul 2017, at 19:40, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>>> On 19 Jun 2017, at 17:32, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> So, if we're getting into enforcing consistency in describe.c, there's
>>> lots to do.
>
>> Addressed in attached patch, see list of patches below.
>
> I've pushed most of this.

Thanks!

> listTables and listDbRoleSettings print a custom message rather than
> an empty table for no matches (but in QUIET mode they just do the
> latter).  I think that's actually a good decision for listDbRoleSettings,
> because the user might be confused about which pattern is which, and
> we can straighten him out with a custom error message.  But the only
> good argument for listTables behaving that way is that people are used
> to it.

Which is a pretty good argument for not changing it.

> Should we override backwards compatibility to the extent of
> dropping the custom messages in listTables, and just printing an empty
> table-of-tables?
>
>> 0004 - Most verbose metacommands include additional information on top of what
>> is in the normal output, while \dRp+ dropped two columns (moving one to the
>> title).  This include the information from \dRp in \dRp+.  Having the pubname
>> in the title as well as the table is perhaps superfuous, but consistent with
>> other commands so opted for it.
>
> I'm not sure about this one.  It definitely seems bogus that \dRp+ is
> omitting the owner column, but I'm less excited about duplicating the
> pubname.

It’s indeed a bit silly to duplicate the information like that.

Another option would perhaps be to move to a format like the one in \dx+, and
only list the tables per subscription like how extension objects are listed.
Not sure if that’s any better here though.

cheers ./daniel