PG wire protocol question

От Boszormenyi Zoltan
Тема PG wire protocol question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

it was a long time I have read this list or written to it.

Now, I have a question. This blog post was written about 3 years ago:
https://aphyr.com/posts/282-jepsen-postgres

Basically, it talks about the client AND the server as a system
and if the network is cut between sending COMMIT and
receiving the answer for it, the client has no way to know
whether the transaction was actually committed.

The client connection may just timeout and a reconnect would
give it a new connection but it cannot pick up its old connection
where it left. So it cannot really know whether the old transaction
was committed or not, possibly without doing expensive queries first.

Has anything changed on that front?

There is a 10.0 debate on -hackers. If this problem posed by
the above article is not fixed yet and needs a new wire protocol
to get it fixed, 10.0 would be justified.

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi