Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>)
Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 release  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Marc, I'd like to understand why we are pushing 7.0 for this "release
> where we are" release. We've (perhaps) got FK support, and a rewritten
> psql, and lots of bug fixes, and maybe "join syntax" but not outer
> joins. If we release as 7.0, then I'll force the date/time
> reunification into this release, since it is a pretty big change to
> the backend tables (I've been waiting quite a while already for the
> major rev jump to do this).

One issue is that while we all want WAL and new query structure and
stuff like that, we don't have end users asking for this repeatedly.
What we do have them asking for is foreign keys.

The major issue seems to be that the 7.0 release is going to have major
incompatibilities for prior releases in the area of date types, and
stuff like that.  With all we are doing, I am not sure that is even
going to work because we can't synchonize all the incompatibility stuff
for one release.

Maybe we just call it 7.0, and have some more incompatibility stuff in
7.1.  Seems waiting for some .0 release is not going to work, unless we
scrap the Feb 1 beta and just wait for all new stuff to be finished, but
that seems worse than having a 7.1 that contains some incompatiblities.

Pennsylvania19026