Re: [HACKERS] More initdb follies

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More initdb follies
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote: >In my digging around in initdb, I came to the --username option, which >supposedly allows you
toinitialize the database system with another >username. Not a bad idea, really. > >Obviously, you'd have to be root in
thatcase, because you want to create >files in someone else's name. But if you are root, the backends will >refuse to
execute,wisely so. So this option is totally broken. > >I propose that I remove it, and that it instead be possible
thatyou can >do > >root# su -l postgres -c 'initdb ...'

You can already do this;  this example is from the Debian package installation
(which runs as root, of course):
       su  postgres -c "cd ${PGHOME}; . ./${PROFILE}; initdb -e ${Encoding} -l
${PGLIB} -r ${PGDATA} -u postgres"

It can be quite tricky, though, since there are a number of different su
versions around.  I would prefer it if root were able to run initdb directly
and set the ownerships as part of the process.  The ability to run as root
should only apply to initdb.

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body,
that     ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."                                              Romans 6:12