Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)

От: Bruce Momjian
Тема: Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-docs

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Peter Eisentraut, )
 RE: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Vince Vielhaber, )
 Re: [DOCS] INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Thomas Lockhart, )
  Re: [DOCS] INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Vince Vielhaber, )
   Re: INSTALL file (was Re: [HACKERS] Re: HISTORY for 6.5.2)  (Bruce Momjian, )

I hope we can get everyone with ideas together before 7.0 is released.

> On Sep 20, Bruce Momjian mentioned:
>
> > I agree our INSTALL is very large.  Is there some way we can simplify
> > the install process?
>
> On the one hand a database server is probably not your everyday
> ./configure && make && make install program you get from freshmeat and you
> do want to put some time into a proper installation. On the other hand the
> INSTALL file is really way too long and makes for unpleasant reading.
>
> Here are a couple of ideas.
>
> * Chapter 2 "Ports" should be moved to the README file (has nothing to do
> with the actual installation).
>
> * Move the gory details of item 5 (flex) to a separate file (README.flex).
>
> * Move the locale stuff into a separate file.
>
> * Same with Kerberos
>
> * Move the release notes at the end to CHANGELOG.
>
> That should make the file somewhat smaller, then also it is really to
> verbose at times and is formatted really oddly, at least on my system.
>
> Okay, now I really went out of my way and redid the whole thing. You'll
> find the result attached. This is merely an idea of what I would consider
> simpler. I removed some inconsistencies, things that were unnecessary, too
> complicated, etc. Okay, I removed a lot of stuff, but most of the stuff
> people can really figure out themselves if they need them in the first
> place. And I shrunk the thing to 25%.
>
> Perhaps there should be a separate Install FAQ of the sort "My shell said
> 'export: Command not found.'" or "What's a shared library?" to move the
> really annoying stuff out of people's ways.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut -
> http://yi.org/peter-e