type creation question

От John Hyland
Тема type creation question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi, I'm John Hyland and I just joined the list.

Briefly, I am attempting to create a number of types that are essentially the
text type by different names.  The command I'm using to do this is

CREATE TYPE mytype
   (INPUT = textin, OUTPUT = textout, INTERNALLENGTH = VARIABLE);

When I do this I get an error that reads

ERROR: TypeCreate: function 'array_in(opaque)' does not exist

I'm using PostgreSQL 6.5.2

Help?

(If anybody is curious as to why I would be doing this, I'm writing a web app
in PHP (4.0b2) for project management.  Each different 'thing' that I'm keeping
track of (customers, sites, etc) has it's own table in the database.  I want to
write one script to view any 'thing', one to edit any 'thing', one to add any
new 'thing', etc.  The php scripts will know how to build the html by looking
at the data types, but to postgres it will all look like text).

--
John Hyland
SysAdmin, Programmer