Q: ODBC- and PostgreSQL-datatypes difference?

От Jelle Ruttenberg
Тема Q: ODBC- and PostgreSQL-datatypes difference?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Hi all,

I've posted some time ago about my experiences concerning connecting from
a Mac-client via OpenLink to a Linux-server with PostgreSQL. Now I'm able
to connect, but the datatypes ODBC gives back to the client aren't all as
I supposed they would be.

A small table with some datatypes/results:

PostgreSQL-    Length    ODBC-datatype
datatype
bool                     1        SQL_CHAR
date                       10              SQL_CHAR
time                       16              SQL_CHAR
timestamp               30              SQL_CHAR
int2                       2               SQL_SMALLINT
int4                       4               SQL_INTEGER
int8                       8               SQL_CHAR
float4                     4               SQL_REAL
float8                     8               SQL_DOUBLE
char                       16              SQL_CHAR
varchar                    255             SQL_VARCHAR
text                       8000      SQL_LONGVARCHAR

Is this normal behaviour, or is this due to the OpenLink-software which
has a database-agent highly possible based on Postgres95, or is this
something different?

I suppose PostgreSQL 'talks' with ODBC-clients via an embedded
ODBC-interface. If so, how can I test this interface and check if there
are some problems?

PostgreSQL: 6.5.2
Linux: RH 6.0

Thanks,
Jelle.

                   NEROC Publishing Solutions

                      Jelle Ruttenberg

De Run 1131, 5503 LB Veldhoven    Phone  : +31-(0)40-2586641
P.O.Box 133, 5500 AC Veldhoven    Fax    : +31-(0)40-2541893
The Netherlands                   E-mail : ruttenberg@neroc.nl