Re: [GENERAL] How to import data from MDB or pipe delimited file into PostgreSQL

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: [GENERAL] How to import data from MDB or pipe delimited file into PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- "Doran L. Barton" <fozz@iodynamics.com> wrote:
> Not long ago, PostgreSQL proclaimed...
> > What is the best way to import into a PostgreSQL
> database data from a
> > Microsoft Access database?
> >
> > Should I export the data to a pipe or comma
> delimited file and then import?
> > *But how can I do that* ?
>
> Once you have an Access table exported using some
> kind of delimiter, use
> the COPY command to import it into a table in
> PostgreSQL.
>
> psql> COPY INTO TABLE1 FROM
> '/home/joe/access_export.csv' USING
>       USING DELIMITER ',';
>
> I'm not aware of any way to import table schemas
> from Access- you'll
> probably still have to do that by hand.
>
> -=Fozz

One way is to (a) install and configure the
PostgreSQL ODBC driver, and (b) export the selected
tables to PostgreSQL via ODBC using the
File->Save As/Export... command. The ODBC driver will
automatically issue the appropriate CREATE TABLE
statement and insert the data from the existing
Access database. However, you may not be satisfied
with the data-type mapping the ODBC driver chooses
to generate for your existing tables.

Another way is to use a PostgreSQL upsizing tool.
I have seen a post on this list several months ago
regarding this tool, which looks promising. The
search engine for the mailing list archives at
www.postgresql.org appeared broken as of a couple of
days ago and I don't have the URL to the page, but an
upsizing tool does, indeed, exist.

Good luck,

Mike Mascari
(mascarim@yahoo.com)