Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #2

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] RI status report #2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yikes.  I was just talking to Thomas Lockhart by phone, and was saying
> > that I thought 6.6 would be a small, incremental release after the
> > changes in 6.5.*.  Obviously, 6.6 is going to be as full-featured as
> > earlier releases.
>
> And that surprises you??  Even in the short two years I've used
> PostgreSQL, I have grown accustomed to major changes every major
> version.  First there was the NOT NULL (and scads of other) features to
> compel me to go from 6.1.1 to 6.2, then there were subselects (and
> vastly improved documentation) to get me up to 6.3, then there were
> views, rules, and the new protocol to make 6.4 a must-cc event, then
> MVCC....  And now I'm maintaining RPM's so I can stay on the released
> bleeding edge without breaking my server policies. Whoda thunk it?
>
> Of course, my measly list above doesn't do the development justice -- as
> one look at the changelog will show.

Yes, it still shocks me.  I was telling Thomas, every release I think,
man, this is so great, no reason anyone should be using a prior release.
And then the next release is the same thing.

The basic issue for me is that each of the new features requsted looks
so hard, I can't imagine how it could be done, but by release time, it
does get done.  Amazing.

Pennsylvania19026