Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.2

От Massimo Dal Zotto
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL 6.5.2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@wizard.net> writes:
> > May I ask that the patches I submitted two months ago for 6.5.0 are applied
> > at least to 6.5.2?
> > Here is the 6.5.1 version of my patches.
>
> I don't much care for QueryLimit (we got rid of that for a reason!)
> nor for the FREE_TUPLE_MEMORY patch, but the rest of this looks safe
> enough... but are we in the business of adding features to 6.5.*,
> even little ones?  Maybe it should only go in current.

The QueryLimit has been reintroduced because it can be used to set a global
default limit for all queries instead of hacking manually some hundred
queries. I admit that the LIMIT...OFFSET is a cleaner way to do it, but
having the possibility to specify a global default doesn't hurt. The default
can always be overriden with an explicit LIMIT on a single query.
The patch uses the same mechanism of the LIMIT clause, so it's safe. It is
only a different way to set the limit value.

The FREE_TUPLE_MEMORY is a temporary fix to avoid huge memory growth in
some common situations, until the memory management is rewritten in a
better way. Being a little conditional code in a very few places of the
sources it can be safely applied and left disabled. Those few people who
need the feature, like me, can enable it at their own risk. I admit that
this is a kludge but the alternative is in some cases a machine with some
gigabyte of memory.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |