Implications of multi-byte support in a distribution

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Implications of multi-byte support in a distribution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I have had a request to add multi-byte support to the Debian binary
packages of PostgreSQL.

Since I live in England, I have personally no need of this and therefore
have little understanding of the implications.

If I change the packages to use multi-byte support, (UNICODE (UTF-8) is
suggested as the default), will there be any detrimental effects on the
fairly large parts of the world that don't need it?  Should I try to
provide two different packages, one with and one without MB support?

--      Vote against SPAM: http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/                ========================================
Isle of Wight                              http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver              PGP key from public servers; key
ID32B8FAA1                ========================================    "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain
the     whole world, and lose his own soul?"      Mark 8:36