Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: Pronunciation of "PostgreSQL" (was: Re: [HACKERS] New man pages)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 02:51:02PM -0500, J. Michael Roberts wrote:
> The only thing I hate about PostgreSQL is that it's hard to type with all
> that mixed case.  I confess that I've always pronounced it "postgres"
> anyway, so there!
>
> The point of a name is to be distinctive and somewhat descriptive.
> Postgres suffices to set the product off from other database systems.
> There's no real need for the SQL to be in the name.  Even Microsoft, in
> their eternal marketing battle, doesn't make a point of writing AccesSQL.

Well, that might be because MS-Access... isn't! Their SQL server product,
however is called,...

SQL Server!

Anyone else get cheesed off how MS seems to always try to co-opt generic
words and turn them into ProductNames(tm)? Word? Access? SQL? In my own
little rebellion, I make a point of prefixing MS- whenever I speak or
write about their products.

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer