Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa

От Ross J. Reedstrom
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Mariposa
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 11:34:47AM -0600, Bob Devine wrote:
> Let me give a brief "what, where, and why" about Mariposa.

<SNIPPED Very interesting precise>

> Fast forward to 1999, Mariposa is now being commercialized by
> Cohera (www.cohera.com) as a middleware distribution layer.

Right - at $40000 a crack for a two backend db version :-(

> --
> Bob Devine  devine@cs.utah.edu
>
> (PS: Just for background, I proposed a lot of the Mariposa ideas
> way back in 1992 at Berkeley after working on DEC's RdbStar.
> Now working on Impulse - www.cs.utah.edu/projects/impulse)

Bob -

Thanks for the background. As you say, Mariposa is coming at this problem
from a different angle, and it wasn't clear to me _why_ that was. Now it
is. I think it's still be good to have the small, add-on version of remote
tables that I proposed. Folding the rest of Mariposa in later might be an
interesting project, as well, and could co-exist (or be built on top of)
fix-location remote tables. Perhaps I should see if it'd be possible to
use the Mariposa syntax extensions with fixed remote tables. That way,
distributed dbs could be made mobile seamlessly (Ha!)

Ross

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer