Re: [GENERAL] Installation of postgresql-6.5.1 data missing ?

От Mike Mascari
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Installation of postgresql-6.5.1 data missing ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
--- Herouth Maoz <herouth@oumail.openu.ac.il> wrote:
> At 14:37 +0300 on 24/07/1999, Jesper K. Pedersen
> wrote:
>
> >     I have been using a much older version of
> postgresql and decided to
> > "trash" it and go to the 6.5.1beta1
> >
> > All installation of the server/client/devel went
> fine - but i am unable
> > to install the default database -
> postgresql-data-X.X.X as  i cant find
> > any for 6.5.1
> >
> > Anyone have any help that will get me through this
> ?
> > I cant find any help in the doc's for this problem
> - so I am sure its
> > just that there is some basic "thing" i
> overlooked.
>
> Were you installing from an RPM perhaps? Common
> PostgreSQL RPMs were
> somehow separated into three packages, though for
> the life of me I can't
> understand why the data package is needed. You
> should be able to create the
> default database using initdb - unless they didn't
> RPM the initdb
> executable?
>
> Herouth

I believe he's referring to the RPMS packaged by
Thomas Lockhart.  The RedHat RPMS were composed of:

postgresql (The server component, postmaster, etc.)
postgresql-clients (psql, libpq, etc.)
postgresql-devel (headers, etc.)
postgresql-data (inital database structure)

Thomas Lockhart's RPM packages were composed of:

postgresql (Common files, documentation)
postgresql-devel (headers, etc.)
postgresql-server (postmaster, initdb, etc.)

And various interface RPMS for java, odbc, tcl, etc.

The RedHat RPMS have a postgresql-data RPM so that
you can install an initial database structure from
the installation CD and never have to run an initdb
by hand to automate the process.

Since I assume Jesper installed Thomas Lockhart's
RPMS's all he has to do, as user postgres is:

initdb --pglib=/usr/lib/pgsql --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql

and he should be good to go.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
(mascarim@yahoo.com)