Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
> > I imagine that this flag is specific to the compiler. It would
> > probably be best to leave it to patches until the alpha issues are
> > solved for every OS environment; sorry I don't have a platform myself
> > to test on.
> >
> > btw, RedHat is interested in doing a maintenance release of Postgres
> > rpms, and would dearly love to have the Alpha port problems solved (or
> > vica versa; they hate that their shipping rpms are broken or not
> > available on one of their three supported architectures).
> >
> > Uncle G, could you tell us the actual port string configure generates
> > for your platform? At the moment, PORTNAME on my i686 box says
> > "linux", and I don't see architecture info. But perhaps we can have
> > configure deduce an ARCH parameter too? It already knows it when first
> > identifying the system...
>
> OK, I have made it:
>
>     ifeq ($(CPU),alpha)
>     ifeq ($(CC), gcc)
>     CFLAGS+= -mieee
>     endif
>     ifeq ($(CC), egcs)
>     CFLAGS+= -mieee
>     endif
>     endif
>
> I can always rip it out later.

Let me reiterate Thomas's comments on this.  Alpha has been a very
bad port for us.  I realize the problems are complex, but each alpha
person seems to know only 80% of what we need to get things working
100%.   We get partial solutions to small problems, that just seem to
fix things long enough for current release.  We had one release that
would not even initdb on alpha.  We really need alpha folks to get their
noses to the grindstones and give us some solid causes/fixes to their
problems.