Re: [SQL] RewriteDefine.c : Rule size

От Jim Rowan
Тема Re: [SQL] RewriteDefine.c : Rule size
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
>> I'm using Postgres 6.4.2.  I want to create a view, but a message appear :
>> ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big.  What could be the
>> solution to avoid the problem? In fact, I have 31 columns in a table, and
>> i want to make a view on this table (with a line restrict = WHERE clause).

I get the same error from 6.5 when I create rules that are apparently too
complex.  My table has 25 or so columns..

>> I watched the RewriteDefine.c code and saw : #define RULE_PLAN_SIZE BLCKSZ
>> I thought changing the value of this size, but I don't find the place to
>> modify the BLCKSZ value.  But, before doing the modification and
>> recompile, I would like to have your opinion on the problem...perhaps is
>> there an easier way to resolve the problem.

wieck>     Never did it, but the BLCKSZ is defined in include/config.h.  That
wieck> is a file generated from config.h.in, so be sure to change it there
wieck> and reconfigure before recompiling.

Be careful here.  We changed BLCKSZ and found some scary results:

First we multiplied it * 4.  This improved the ability to handle complex
rules, but didn't go far enough... (it still wouldn't handle all of what we
wanted it to).

So we multiplied it * 8.  Initdb complained about "float4 not defined".  (As
I recall.. I'm not where the error message is and thus this may not be 100%
accurate...).

We quickly changed it back to the original size and are implementing
alternative rules...  I can understand if it doesn't have enough working
space to do what I ask (or whatever the details are behind "rule plan string
too big") but if changing BLCKSZ breaks builtin types -- I don't want to mess
with it!!!

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: