Re: [GENERAL] Auto-timeout on all queries

От Karl DeBisschop
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Auto-timeout on all queries
Дата
Список pgsql-general
>   From: Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>
>   Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 21:19:54 -0400 (EDT)
>   CC: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org>
>   Sender: owner-pgsql-general@postgreSQL.org
>
>   > I would like to make one small request for future releases.  Is there a
>   > setup parameter that could be enabled that would put a timeout for a query
>   > that runs too long or endangers the integrity of the system?  With the
>   > systems that I use, there are times that queries are entered that contain
>   > errors or run so long that they eventually cause a system crash.  It would
>   > be most helpful if a timeout limit on queries could be enabled that would
>   > stop a query after so much time and release the resources back to the system.
>
>   Does anyone thing this would be a nice feature?  We can easily do it
>   with alarm()/elog(), but I want to know if it would be valuable.
>
>   --
>     Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>     maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
>     +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
>     +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania
>     19026

I think we'd use it.  At least on our development machines, which have
occasionally suffered from the ill effects of an excessively ambitious
query.

How would the interface to the user look?

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop@spaceheater.infoplease.com>
617.832.0332 (Fax: 617.956.2696)

Information Please - your source for FREE online reference
http://www.infoplease.com  - Your Ultimate Fact Finder
http://kids.infoplease.com - The Great Homework Helper