Re: postmaster dies (was Re: Very disappointing performance)

От Cary O'Brien
Тема Re: postmaster dies (was Re: Very disappointing performance)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes...

>> basically the server randomly dies with a:
>> ERROR:  postmaster: StreamConnection: accept: Invalid argument
>> pmdie 3
>> (then signals all children to drop dead)
>
>Hmm.  That shouldn't happen, especially not randomly; if the accept
>works the first time then it should work forever after, since the
>arguments being passed in never change.
>
>[snip]
>
>An alternative possibility is to run the postmaster under truss so you
>can see what arguments are passed to the kernel on every kernel call,
>but that'd generate a pretty verbose logfile.

FWIW...

If your (secret's) system uses strace, you can tell it to filter
just specific calls or groups of calls.  For example,
 strace -f -s 256 -e trace=network -o /tmp/strace.log -p <postmaster pid>

Should trace all the network operations of the postmaster and
all the children.  I'm not sure if the socket reads/writes will
be included or not.  The -s sets the 'snapshot' length.

Truss probably has similar options that can be enabled in some
baroque manner.

-- cary