trouble running "intdb"

От ming lap chow
Тема trouble running "intdb"
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Dear Postgres: I have downloaded a binary distribution of PostgreSQL 6.4.2 from
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/bindist6.4.2/ and the file name is
PostgreSQL-6.4.2-Solaris_7_sparc.gz. I followed the installation instruction as
described in README.Solaris (see attachment to this e-mail). The installation
was "successful" until I began to run the initdb command: (under csh)

initdb --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib --pgdata=/usr/local/pgsql/data

it complaint:

ld.so.1: pg_id: fatal: libncurses.so.4: open failed: No such file or directory
Unable to determine a valid username.  If you are running
initdb without an explicit username specified, then there
may be a problem with finding the Postgres shared library
and/or the pg_id utility.

I then tried:

initdb -u SUPERUSER --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib --pgdata=/usr/local/pgsql/data

The result was the same. I am wondering what was wrong. I even created a
directory "data" and chown to pgsql. The result was still the same. Why is life
so difficult? Would you please tell me what to do?
Thank you.
-- Ming Chow

In order to install this package, you must *first* create a user/group called
pgsql, which PostgreSQL will run as.  Locally, I've used the following commands:

> groupadd pgsql
> useradd -d /usr/local/pgsql -m -c "PostgreSQL Admin" -g pgsql pgsql

After that is created, uncompress the package using 'gunzip <pkgname>' and then
install using 'pkgadd -d <pkgname>' ...

Once installed, su to the new user you created above to perform the initialization
procedures, as follows (please note this assumes you are using [t]csh, not [ba]sh):

> set path = ( $path /usr/local/pgsql/bin )
> initdb --pglib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib --pgdata=/usr/local/pgsql/data

At this point, you should be ready to start up the daemon itself, and begin work.
On my machines, I use a simple script, as follows:

#!/bin/tcsh
setenv HOMEDIR /usr/local/pgsql
${HOMEDIR}/bin/postmaster -o "-F -o ${HOMEDIR}/errout -S 16384" \
        -i -p 5432 -D${HOMEDIR}/data &