Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] trouble with rules
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> jwieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> >         It looks to me, that  it  was  taken  out  only  to  move
> >         INTERSECT in the easy way.  But this time the easy way is
> >         IMHO the wrong way.
> >         Removing a documented, released feature is something that
> >         causes  havy  trouble  for those who want to upgrade to a
> >         new version.
> >         Next time  please  keep  existing  syntax/features  until
> >         there  is an agreement of the developers team that it has
> >         to die.
>
> Calm down Jan ;-).  I think what happened here is a slightly careless
> merge of the 6.3 - based INTERSECT/EXPECT code into the current code.
> Not a deliberate removal of a feature, just a foulup.
>
> This does suggest that we need to be more careful when applying patches
> developed against old system versions.

This is normally caused by Stephan's patches.  His patches were
originally against 6.3, and he ported them to 6.4, but he normally does
lots of development without any communication with us, sends us a huge
patch, and we normally have to clean up the edges somewhat.  This patch
actually caused fewer problems than the HAVING patch he submitted.

In fact, I didn't even know he was working anymore, and then I recieve
this huge patch, with a huge thesis that Thomas is merging into the
docs.  He is in the Army now, and probably unreachable.

Basically, I think our hands are tied on this one.  Not really sure we
could have done anything different.  The patch is usually beefy enough
that is worth our effort to polish it.  To his credit, he did more
regression testing this time, so we have fewer problems.  All his stuff
has /***S*I***/ next to it, which I will remove once we resolve issues
with his patch.

> >     BTW: There is 1 shift/reduce conflict in  gram.y  (was  there
> >     before I fixed multi action rules). Who introduced that?
>
> Yeah, I'm seeing that too.  Same cause perhaps?  It seems to have
> appeared in rev 2.43, when the INTERSECT/EXPECT code was checked in.

Same cause.

Pennsylvania19026