Port Bug Report: Can't import nullable date field with COPY in psql

От Unprivileged user
Тема Port Bug Report: Can't import nullable date field with COPY in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        : Jay MacDonald
Your email address    : jaym@aztech-cs.com

Category        : runtime: back-end
Severity        : non-critical

System Configuration
--------------------
  Operating System   : Linux 2.0.35 ELF

  PostgreSQL version : 6.4

  Compiler used      : gcc 2.7.2.1

Hardware:
---------
AMD K6 266, 128 MB RAM
S.u.S.E 5.2
Linux minotaur 2.0.35 #1 Tue Aug 11 14:25:16 PDT 1998 i586 unknown

Versions of other tools:
------------------------
GNU Make version 3.76.1

Problem Description:
--------------------
I have defined a date type field that can be null. When I
try to use COPY to import a text file it pukes if there
is no value in that field.

Test Case:
----------
1. Create a table test:
CREATE TABLE test (
        stock           char(6) NOT NULL,
        date_in         date NOT NULL,
        date_out        date,
        sort_date       date NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY (stock)
        );

2. Create file test.dat with the following lines:

M10004|19981219||19981219
M10008|19981219||19981219
M10011|19981219||19981219

3. Attempt to use COPY to import the data:
ram=> COPY test FROM '/disk2/data/ram/test.dat' USING DELIMITERS '|';
ERROR:  Bad date external representation
ram=>

If I enter a date value into that null field in the data
file it imports okay. I tried filling it with the string
NULL, but no success.

Solution:
---------