Re: [HACKERS] Upgrades for 6.4.1

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Upgrades for 6.4.1
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > * Two and three dimmensional arrays display improperly, missing {}
>
> My simple test case shows as many brackets as I expect. Can someone
> remember what this was about? Or at least take the extra "m" out of
> "dimensional"? :)

Bug report attached.  It is an old one.

> > * SELECT * FROM table WHERE int4_column = '1' fails
>
> postgres=> select * from x where i = '1';
> -
> 1
> (1 row)
>
> Works now, no? The new type coersion stuff...

Item removed.

> > * default char() value not to full length crashes server on some OS's
>
> postgres=> create table x (c char(10) default 'abc');
> CREATE
> postgres=> insert into x default values;
> INSERT 901452 1
> postgres=> select * from x;
> ---
> abc
> (1 row)
>
> I distinctly recall fixing this, or watching someone else do it...

Removed.

> > * SELECT DISTINCT i FROM dtest ORDER BY j generates strange output
>
> In my simple test case, it orders by j, then only shows i. Is that
> strange? What did it used to do? The current behavior makes sense, if it
> should be allowed at all...

Removed.

> > * views with spaces in view name fail when referenced
>
> Still a problem.

Ok.

> > * plpgsql does not handle quoted mixed-case identifiers
>
> Ditto.

Ok.

> > * do not allow bpchar column creation without length
>
> ? char is now the same as char(1), which should solve this, if that's
> what it means...

Try:
    create table x(y bpchar);

and try pg_dumping it.

> > ENHANCEMENTS
> > ------------
> > * Add full ANSI SQL capabilities
> >         * add OUTER joins, left and right (Thomas)
> >         * add INTERSECTS, SUBTRACTS(Stephan)
> >         * add temporary tables
> >         * add sql3 recursive unions
> >         * add the concept of dataspaces
> >         * add DECIMAL, NUMERIC, DOUBLE PRECISION, BIT, BIT VARYING
>
> We've got DOUBLE PRECISION, DECIMAL, and NUMERIC (the latter two are
> brain-damaged though)

Removed.

> >         * add CONSTRAINT
>
> Already here, from Vadim.

Removed.

> > * Full set of text operations and functions
> >         * word searches, concat,max() on text, char
>
> Not sure about "word searches", others are done. v6.4.1 will require a
> dump/reload to find min/max for string types. In fact, can someone test
> to make sure it is ok that I added these to the pg_aggregate system
> table? And a couple of support functions to pg_proc? Since they weren't
> available before, and since everything else still works, I thought it
> might be OK to include them. But I can rip them out of the system tables
> if that would be best for v6.4.1.

Removed.

> > * Add word index for text fields, maybe with trigrams, i.e.:
> >   * ' (cat | dog) & ! fox ' meaning text has cat aor dog, but not fox
>
> How is this different from the "word searches" above?

Removed.

> > * Allow INSERT INTO ... SELECT to convert column types
>
> Probably does. The new type coersion stuff :)

Removed.

> > * remove non-standard types from the system, and make them loadable
>
> This made the ToDo list, but I'm not sure we want to do it. Native types
> still have a few advantages over loadable types, and our types are one
> of our strongest features...

Removed.

> > * Allow variable casts with BETWEEN 'today'::asbtime AND 'today'::abstime
>
> postgres=> select 'yes' where 'now'::datetime
>    between 'today'::datetime and 'tomorrow'::datetime;
> ?column?
> --------
> yes
> (1 row)
>
> What did this item mean??

Some problem with OR gram.y processing.  Fixed, I guess.

> > * Change all references of Postgres to PostgreSQL, including binary
> >     names
>
> I've standardized all Postgres docs to use "Postgres" within the body,
> and "PostgreSQL" for titles and in the introduction.

Removed.

> > * Change LOCK tablename to LOCK TABLE tablename(?)
>
> Both syntaxes are now legal and accepted.

Removed.

> > * Generate error on CREATE OPERATOR of ~~, ~ and and ~*
>
> ? Because gram.y mucks around with them?

Ok.

> > * Allow constraint NULL just as we honor NOT NULL
>
> Fundamental yacc problem with this as I recall. Gives rise to
> shift/reduce problems since it is ambiguous with other uses of "NULL" in
> the same area.

Ok.

> > * do autocommit so always in a transaction block
>
> This is already the case, right? Every statement has an implicit
> begin/end around it, unless it is within an explicit begin/end. Or does
> this mean something else?

Not the same.  Withouth autocommit on, you start in a transaction, and
have to issue a commit to commit the changes, and you are back in a new
transaction.  Ingres SQL does this.

> > * no min/max for oid type
>
> Fixed. New type coersion stuff.

Removed.

> > * remove un-needed conversion functions
>
> ? An explicit conversion function is always/usually faster than one
> which requires multiple steps.

Added word 'where appropriate'.  We just have tons of them. Would be
nice to pair them down a little.

> > DOCUMENTATION
> > -------------
> > * Add keyword list to documentation, already in /tools
>
> Done. In the User's Guide chapter on "Syntax".

Removed.

> > CHANGES IN THE 6.4.1 RELEASE
> > ----------------------------
> > Add pg_dump -N flag to force double quotes around identifiers.  This is
> >         the default
>
> (Thomas) in case you have room :)

Ok.

> > Fix test for table existance to allow mixed-case and whitespace in
> >         the table name
>
> Ditto. At least when combined with Billy's fixes to make a complete set.

Ok.  I loose the committers name in the script I wrote, and I am not
sure who did it.  We also commit other's patches, so even knowing the
committers name sometimes doesn't help.  I know my fixes, however. :-)

> > Fix for creating tables with constraints when table name is mixed-case(Billy)
> > Fixes for mixed-case table names(Billy)
>
> These all sure sound similar...

Removed.

> > contrib/linux/postgres.init.csh/sh fix
>
> (Thomas)

Added

> > Change exp() behavior to generate error on underflow
>
> (Tom), right?
OK.

> > Timezone fixes(Tom)
>
> ? Not sure we see an improvement yet, if this is the date->datetime
> conversion problem reported by Oleg.

We'll see.

> > Use implicit type coersion for matching DEFAULT values
>
> (Thomas) but wasn't this mentioned above somewhere? Maybe not...

Not mentioned.  Updated RELEASE tree and web page with new TODO copy.