Re: Postgres slowdown on large tables

От Petter Reinholdtsen
Тема Re: Postgres slowdown on large tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> I've been testing how fast I am able to insert entries in a simple
> table, and I am shocked how slow postgres gets when the table gets
> large.

Update.  I am shocked how slow PostgreSQL is on this test task
compared to MySQL.

> The insert peaks at 43/s with around 20k entries in the tables and
> then quickly moves down to 15/s (100k) and 6/s (200k).  Here are the
> test script, the benchmark script and some numbers.
>
>   7697 ->   8072 11s 34 entry/s
>  17227 ->  17701 11s 43 entry/s
>  50427 ->  50824 14s 28 entry/s
>  98831 ->  99033 14s 14 entry/s
> 151528 -> 151645 12s  9 entry/s
> 200084 -> 200165 12s  6 entry/s
> 251277 -> 251341 12s  5 entry/s

Here are the same numbers for MySQL 3.22:

  1319 ->   9082 10s  776 entry/s
 49373 ->  57582 10s  820 entry/s
 97698 -> 105757 10s  805 entry/s
145537 -> 153702 10s  816 entry/s
194328 -> 202484 10s  815 entry/s
243042 -> 251366 11s  756 entry/s
291807 -> 300108 11s  754 entry/s
340564 -> 348895 11s  757 entry/s
389148 -> 397262 10s  811 entry/s
435943 -> 444661 10s  871 entry/s

One partial reason might be that the psql test did not use the
loopback interface, while the last test did.  I don't think this could
fully explain the difference.

OBS:  This is insert only!
--
##>  Petter Reinholdtsen <##    | pere@td.org.uit.no
 O-  <SCRIPT Language="Javascript">window.close()</SCRIPT>