Re: [GENERAL] Re: Large Objects

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Re: Large Objects
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Jeroen Schaap wrote:
>
> // Yes, it still is a seperate file... seems to be a straightforward
> // approach. What's wrong with that?
>
>     There are two problems:
>
>     1) It's actually two files, which eats up a lot of inodes to store
>        the records, this is bad, and counter-intuitive.
>     2) They're all stored in the same directory, which happens to be
>        the same directory as the rest of the data, which means file
>        access will get slower as you add BLOBs.
>
>     One would be OK if it were one file per BLOB, though it'd be nicer
> to manage it in files for blocks/pages instead of individual files.
>
>     Two should be fixed.  At *least* have a BLOB subdirectory, but
> preferebly, if you're going to be doing files like this, something like:
>
>     /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/dbname/blob/xx/yy/oid
>
> where xx and yy come from a simple hash of the oid.

Yes, I plan to change it.  The old code required it to be called inv*,
but the new code uses a new large object flag, so in the future, I can
rename the files, and move them into a subdirectory perhaps, and the
code will still work.  I have to wait for the old code using the old
libpq to expire, perhaps after 6.5.