CORBA interface in backend?

От Michael Robinson
Тема CORBA interface in backend?
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] CORBA interface in backend?
Список pgsql-hackers
I've been banging and banging my head against the specific problem of how
to tightly couple the object-relational part of postgres with the object-
list processing part of Python.  In the midst of this head-banging, I thought
of this possible general solution:

Put an ORB in the backend.

Not only would this, in theory, give fairly reasonable performance for
persistent object store applications in Python, it would open up PostgreSQL
for interoperability with any CORBA-interfaced application.  Now that
PostgreSQL has something of a stored procedural language, that makes it
even more attractive.

What I envision is a "dumpIDL" command that, for certain input parameters
(table/class) would dump the appropriate IDL definition for instances(rows)
of that class and related methods(functions).  And then hack an existing
ORB onto the backend to do all the translation, communications and
bookkeeping.

So, I'm soliciting opinions:  is this brain fart worth pursuing, or should
I just forget it ever happened?
-Michael Robinson