Re: [HACKERS] Mixing library versions

От Michael Meskes
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Mixing library versions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 12:09:21AM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> I'm currently experimenting with the Debian packaging of 6.4.
>
> The question arises of how to handle the change in library versions from
> 1.0 to 2.0.  It has been suggested that I should keep libpq.so.1 around
> for the benefit of those who need to communicate with an older database
> server.
>
> Is it possible to use libpq.so.2.0 to query a remote database whose
> server is running PostgreSQL 6.3?  What would be the consequences of

No. Let's just try /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql(6.4) on my running 6.3 server:

Connection to database 'mm' failed.
Unsupported frontend protocol.

> using libpq.so.1 to query a 6.4 server?

Never tried that until now. But it appears to work. I hvae no idea though
where it could break things.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael Meskes      | Th.-Heuss-Str. 61, D-41812 Erkelenz | Go SF49ers!
Senior-Consultant       | business: Michael.Meskes@mummert.de | Go Rhein Fire!