Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)

От Billy G. Allie
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Configure problem, redux (was Re: TCL installation troubles)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brook Milligan wrote:
>    So you output all defines into a single file, and include that in every
>    Makefile.  That is interesting.
>
> I guess this isn't too clear.  Here is what I am trying to advocate:
>
> configure output -> Makefile.global + config.h substituting as
> appropriate.
>
> all Makefiles include Makefile.global (which includes Makefile.custom
> if it exists? and other things like the shared library Makefile).
>
> one of the included Makefiles has a generic rule for *.sql.in -> *.sql
> that depends on Makefile.global also.
>
> If a directory has *.sql.in it will automatically be converted with
> the correct substitutions; after all, the substitution is the same in
> each case so one rule suffices (even if several variables need
> substituting); note that sed will not substitute for patterns not
> found in individual *.sql.in files even if the general rule says
> otherwise.
>
> Same mechanism for any other general substitutions, if necessary
> (probably not).
>
> Makefiles do not have any sed monsters, just one rule involving sed in
> a generally included Makefile.sed_monsters. :)  The individual
> *.sql.in files would be written in exactly the same way as if
> configure was doing the substitution.
>
> All configure information is in one place (Makefile.global and
> config.h).  All dependencies do the right thing, even if those are
> changed post-configure.
>
> Cheers,
> Brook

This would seem to work, although we would at least need a rule for *.sh.in ->
*.sh for the mkMakefile.[tcl|tk]defs.sh files needed for TCL/TK support.

I still have a problem with editing files to curcumvent configure.  But I
could live with a solution as outlined above.  I don't have to edit the
makefiles and if someone else wants to, well they roll the die and take their
chances :-)

--
____       | Billy G. Allie    | Domain....: Bill.Allie@mug.org
|  /|      | 7436 Hartwell     | Compuserve: 76337,2061
|-/-|----- | Dearborn, MI 48126| MSN.......: B_G_Allie@email.msn.com
|/  |LLIE  | (313) 582-1540    |