Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > Here are the open items.  Thanks to Jan, the only 'hot' item left is the
> > ps args issue.  People on non-BSD platforms will see all their backends
> > called 'postmaster', because argv[0] changes do not reflect in ps arg
> > displays.
> >
> > I have asked that at least we get set_proctitle() working for Linux, but
> > no one wants to do it, and we can't remove the it because we would have
> > to add the exec() back into backend creation, which is impossible at
> > this point.
>
>     I'm running Linux 2.1.88 and get
>
>     15572  p2 S     0:01 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -o -F
>     16121  p2 S     0:01 /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres localhost twieck twieck idle
>
>     from ps. So what isn't working?

Whoh, this is a shock.  I thought this trick did not work under Linux.
If it does, and no one has complained, we can consider the issue closed.

Massimo did a nice job of moving my ps status stuff into pg_status.h,
but it looks like the same code that modifies argv[0].  Perhaps it is
the Linux version you are using.

It give us a cheap 'db monitor' capability, wrapped into the 'ps'
command.

Pennsylvania19026