Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

От Brook Milligan
Тема Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well, I didn't do it, but I agree with whoever took it out.  You cannot  test at *configure* time to see whether the
invokerof configure is  root.  It is not reasonable to expect people to do the configure and  build as root, even if
theysu to root for the install step (which  is surely the WRONG thing for a Postgres install anyway!)

Installing as root is fine; running as root is not.
  I wouldn't care for a test on rootness even if it were done at the right  time, ie, install step.  That's an entirely
unwarrantedassumption about  how people set up their file ownership.  (For example, on my machine the  Perl5 tree
belongsto user "gnu", not root.)  A more useful test would  be whether you have write permission on the Perl5 install
treetop-level  directory, but that seems to require knowing where the Perl5 install  tree *is*, a fact that's buried
insidethe Perl-generated makefile.

We don't really need to test this.  Use --with-perl if appropriate.
It will automatically find the right stuff via perl.
  Maybe we could modify src/interfaces/Makefile along this line:

No.  Why can't we rely on people using --with-perl correctly to
specify if they do or do not want perl.  The whole point of the recent
run-around with the perl Makefile stuff was so that postgres could be
installed without perl and later someone could do the normal perl
install in that directory.  You get this functionality by running
configure without the --with-perl option and all is well.

What am I missing?

Cheers,
Brook

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...