Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: inet/cidr/bind
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > There is already concern that we are too close to the 6.4 final date to
> > do anything with the INET type.  I am hearing that from another
> > developer.
>
> Yes.
>
> > I am not sure what to advise, but adding a new type is not trivial.  It
> > is going to require an initdb by everyone, because it is going to be in
> > the regression test.
>
> I propose that we rename CIDR to INET, base it on the existing inet_net_*
> functions, and have done with it.  We can add IHOST next time.

No need.  It is already called INET.

> > My personal opinion is that I am not ready to add a new type, and new
> > duplicate functions for that type, this close to final.  I can add the
> > type, and the pg_proc/indexing pointers to link in the existing
> > inet functions, but full type inclusion is too much, I think.
>
> I don't know how to help with this.

I will do the work, but am hesitant to do too much system table fiddling
at this point.

> > For example, I have an inet_ops entry in pg_class.  I don't want to add
> > an cidr_ops function that behaves exactly the same.  If we can't do this
> > right, then we will not do it for 6.4.  My experience is that dumping
> > partial solutions into 250k lines of code is a bad thing.
>
> Yes.
>
> > So, if people really want it, it has to be _good_.  If is not that
> > important, it can wait.
>
> I believe that I am to blame for the last minute nature of this, because I
> was not properly focused on applications during the much earlier discussion.
>
> Because we're at the end of our time, I propose that we rename the type to
> INET, use the existing inet_net_ functions, and blow the bolts.

Fortunately, it is already called INET.  We have all the system catalogs
wired for the type.  We just need working versions of some of those
functions, and D'Arcy can go at it.

If we are good, this may not even require an initdb, because the changes
were made long ago for the INET type.

Pennsylvania19026