Re: Postgres for 4.0

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Postgres for 4.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>     With the talk of PostgresSQL as a DB engine for
> 4.0 you will need to fetch a snapshot not a release
> AND install BISON before you start the build.
>
>     The official release does not know about
> BSD/OS 4.0 yet. A snapshot from 10-18-1998 does
> know about 4.0 and does build. I don't know what
> may or not be broken or enhanced.

[BCC to PostgreSQL hackers list, as a reminder.]

We are expecting a 6.4 final release on November 1, and it will support
BSD/OS 4.0 out-of-the-box, with full ELF/dynamic loader/shared library
support.

Bison will not be required, but is helpful.  Our parser grammer is too
large for the BSDI yacc.

As part of the distribution, we generate a gram.c file from gram.y.  It
works just fine with _no_ yacc/bison.

However, there was a datestamp problem with 6.3.2, and the gram.c file
came out older than gram.y, so Make thought you needed yacc/bison, and
BSD/OS yacc could not handle the size.

We supplied a patch from our ftp server ftp.postgresql.org to fix this
by modifying the timestamp on gram.c.

6.4 will have this fixed.

Pennsylvania19026