Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Hi, my 2 cents...
>
> I agree completely, LIMIT would be VERY usefull in web based apps, which
> is all I run.  It does not matter to me if it is not part of a formal
> standard.  The idea is so common that it is a defacto standard.
>
> I would not expect it for this release, but could it get put on the TODO
> list for next time?  I am even willing to work at an apprentise level on
> this with a more expeireanced person that knows this stuff.

I assume everyone has read the FAQ item:

    How do I <I>select</I> only the first few rows of a query?

    See the fetch manual page.<P>

    This only prevents all row results from being transfered to the client.
    The entire query must be evaluated, even if you only want just the first
    few rows. Consider a query that has an order by.  There is no way
    to return any rows until the entire query is evaluated and sorted.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] What about LIMIT in SELECT ?