Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.

От Matthew C. Aycock
Тема Re: [HACKERS] postmaster locking issues.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Why not just create a ~postgres/locks directory and place the
socket file and postmaster locks there. Then we could place a
lock in each DATA directory signifing the pid of the postmaster
that contains the lock?

Matt
>> I strongly disagree. If we wish postgresql to please people, we do not want
>> to start out by annoying them with the install. Specifically, some of us
>> (I happen to be one), feel that the FHS is important and that packages
>> should follow it.
>>
>> Also, /tmp is a security risk. Why make it harder for someone trying to
>> use postgresql, say for a real application involving money or confidential
>> information or something, to run a tightly nailed down system.
>>
>> This item should follow platform convention by default (ie, FHS on Linux
>> and other "progressive" systems) but be configurable at install time.
>
>OK, I agree, we should allow locks to be placed wherever people want
>them, and the periodic cleaning of /tmp is a good argument.
>
>Perhaps, rather than using OS-specific stuff, we can just test from
>configure for various directories that are writeable, and choose the
>best one.  That seems nicer to me, and fewer configuration headaches.
>
>I assume this would apply to lock and socket files?  If so, each client
>for unix-domain sockets would have to know about the location chosen at
>configure time.  That sounds messy.  I am adding this item to the
>TODO/Open Items list.
>
>--
>  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://www.op.net/~candle
>  maillist@candle.pha.pa.us            |  (610) 853-3000
>  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  830 Blythe Avenue
>  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Matthew C. Aycock
Operating Systems Analyst/Admin, Senior
Dept Math/CS
Emory University, Atlanta, GA