Re: [HACKERS] Adding PRIMARY KEY info

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Adding PRIMARY KEY info
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> >

> > > pg_index is good place for all _3_ key types because of:
> > >
> > > 1. index should be created for each foreign key -
> > >    just for performance.
> > > 2. pg_index already has int28 field for key attributes.
> > > 3. pg_index already has indisunique (note that foreign keys
> > >    may reference unique keys, not just primary ones).
> > >
> > > - so we have just add two fields to pg_index:
> > >
> > > bool indisprimary;
> > > oid  indreferenced;
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > this is for foreign keys: oid of referenced relation'
> > > primary/unique key index.
> >
> > Sounds fine to me.  Any chance of seeing this in 6.4?
>
> I could add this (and FOREIGN key implementation) before
> 11-13 Sep... But not the ALTER TABLE ADD/DROP CONSTRAINT
> stuff (ok for Entry SQL).
> But we are in beta...
>
> Comments?

Now that you have fixed the index problem, I can focus on the other open
issues.  You were asking about adding foreign keys.  This, of course, is
a BIG item for our users, and would be nice to have it.  Not sure how
that is going to merge into the beta, but we are allowing Jan to add
rewrite changes during the beta, and perhaps Marc will allow foreign
keys too, since it is such a HOT item.  We may be adding the IP type
during beta, which is hot too.

I believe Marc said he was unsure of novices adding stuff during beta,
but people who have proven responsible/responsive are OK.  (After the
index thing, I am not sure if I am still on that list, but I don't have
anything to add during beta anyway.  I did all my damage before the
beta.  :-))

I say, go ahead and work on it if you want to, and if it looks good, we
can add it, if not, it can be added just after the final release.
Either way, the code is not going to change that much from now until
final, so if you hold on it or you don't finish, you can always add the
code later.