Search on a large object?

От Christopher S. Weimann
Тема Search on a large object?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I am porting a web based forum cgi to PHP and PostgreSQL.  My main
problem is that I need to use large objects to store the message
bodies since some of them exceed 8k.  The existing forum software
allow searching on the bodies of the messages.  I don't think I
can put the Oid of a large object in a WHERE and have do anything
useful :)  I know that I could search the large objects with PHP
but that doesn't seem very efficient.

Searching a large object for a text string seems like something
that somebody must have done before but I can't find anything in
the archives about it.  I think it is going to require something
in C to enable searching the LO in the WHERE.

I looked at MySql and it seems that its "large objects" can do this
but I'd rather not go that way.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

Christopher Weimann SysAdmin              Wall Internet LLC.
Email: cweimann@wallnet.com               PO Box 255
Web: http://www.wallnet.com/~cweimann     Manasquan NJ, 08736
                    732-223-1777