Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

От Massimo Dal Zotto
Тема Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections  (dg@illustra.com (David Gould))
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:
>
> > Oh, ok. Some suggestions have been made the the postmaster would open a
> > connection to it's own backend to do queries. I was responding to this.
> > I agree that we should just store the information in shared memory.
>
>     How does one get a history for long term monitoring and statistics
> by storing in shared memory?
>
> Marc G. Fournier
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Why not simply append history lines to a normal log file ? In this way you
don't have the overhead for accessing tables and can do real-time processing
of the data with a simple tail -f on the file.
I use this trick to monitor the log file written by 30 backends and it works
fine for me.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto                e-mail:  dz@cs.unitn.it            |
|  Via Marconi, 141                 phone:  ++39-461-534251            |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)     www:  http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                            pgp:  finger dz@tango.cs.unitn.it  |