Re: [HACKERS] Sequential scan speed, mmap, disk i/o

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Sequential scan speed, mmap, disk i/o
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > Basically, Linux is double my speed for 8k mmap'ed chunks.  Around 32k
> > chunks, I get closer, and 8mb chunks are the same.  Glad to hear Linux
> > has optimized mmap() recently, because BSD/OS looks much slower than
> > Linux on this.
>
> Well Bruce, don't be too happy. Most people aren't yet running the
> optimized kernel; don't know if any of the benchmarks came from someone
> running a bleeding-edge development version, which is what 2.1.99 would
> be; first feature-freeze release in preparation for v2.2 afaik :)
>
> And scrappy, no need to note that _all_ Linux kernels are bleeding edge
> releases :)

[FYI, BSDI, Linux dev. release is beating BSDI for 8k mmaps() by 2x.]

I must say, when I saw Linux beating BSDI by 2x, I started wondering if
the great BSDI engineers were sleeping or something.  Now that I
understand that this improvement is a somewhat new effort, I feel a
little better.

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Sequential scan speed, mmap, disk i/o
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Sequential scan speed, mmap, disk i/o