Re: Let's talk up 6.3

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Let's talk up 6.3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> I have made no indices yet.  And these are the only two tables
> in the database (beside the system ones).

No indexes.  No wonder it takes so long.  Put an index on
mdc1_runs.runnum and mdc1_simu.version, and see how fast it is.  Did
Oracle manage to do this quickly without the indexes?

Having it crash is certainly not an acceptable outcome, but I am sure
indexes will fix the problem.

Now, the fact that it runs quickly as separate queries, even without the
indexes, but takes a long time with the indexes, I think is
understandable.  Think of a join of two tables.  You can do through each
quickly, but if you join two non-indexed fields, it will take quite some
time.  I think our subselect code is doing just that.  We designed it
that way to give good performance for the majority of subselects,
including correlated ones.