Re: [HACKERS] port/getrusage.c?

От Hal Snyder
Тема Re: [HACKERS] port/getrusage.c?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 01:48:28 -0400 (AST)
> From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
> cc: maillist@candle.pha.pa.us, hackers@postgreSQL.org

> > src/include/access/heapam.h - heap_getattr is the one that blows the
> > mind of SCO ODT5 /bin/cc as well as their Skunkware gcc-2.7.2.1. Pure
> > GNU 2.8.1 was all I could get to handle it.
>
>     I don't believe that this is a "religious war" issue...but why do
> ppl even *use* the stock C compilers anymore?  I know at work we us all
> GCC/G++ stuff, since its one helluva lot cheaper then picking up Sun's CC
> compiler...I'm not advocating requiring GCC...just wondering one ppl
> actually do use the stock compiler..

1. Corporate engineering management scared of stuff that only builds
   with GNU tools and not "commercial quality" native compiler. Feh.

2. OS's so whacked-out that GNU tools don't build without major pain
   and suffering. Look at what it took to build pre-2.8 gcc on SCO.

Where I work we have two kinds of programmer using the same SCO
development system - the GNU'ers who spend as much time as possible on
FreeBSD and only use the SCO box when held at gunpoint, and the SCO
users who would just get all confused by enhanced warnings emitted by
gcc -Wall -ansi -pedantic (prototype checking, printf arg checks, etc)
and just sit catatonic in their cubes for weeks if their moldy old
/bin/cc tools don't work on a module they pull out of CVS. Aargh.