Re: [QUESTIONS] Does Storage Manager support >2GB tables?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [QUESTIONS] Does Storage Manager support >2GB tables?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> I looked at the Magnetic Disk Storage manager code and it appears
> that it at least tries to support tables larger then the maximum
> file size.  I heard some talk however about this feature being either
> broken or untested for many years.  Anyone know the real status?

I is broken, but we are not sure how.  Someone recently got over 2GB,
and the table got messed up.

> Yes I can test it myself but I need to buy another drive first so
> I can have 6GB of free space.
>
> Also, is anyone working on storage mangers?  I was thinking that
> a raw partition manager would be good to have.  Could be faster
> then one that uses the file system.  Give it two partitions and
> it could do stripping and gain some real speed.

No one is working on storage managers that I know of.  The code works,
but it just uses the default storage manager.

> Next question is the storagemanager switch working?

Yes, I believe that code has not changed recently.

> I'll need this to work in about a year.  I'll do the work
> myself if that option is best but I would not want to put in the
> effort unless others would use it.

No one has discussed working on that aspect, but some people have
suggested a raw storage manager.