Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > No.  Make /var/run writable by some group (e.g., group pidlog) and put
> > postgres (and other things like root or daemon or ..., whatever needs
> > to log pid files) in that group.
>
>    We can't expect the user to be able to change /var/run permissions.
>    Must be in pgsql/ or /tmp.
>
> No, "normal" users shouldn't be allowed to do so, obviously.  But, are
> there real systems in which a database maintainer (i.e., user
> postgres) cannot cooperate with the system admin (i.e., user root) to
> accomplish this?  In practice, is it really envisioned that postgres
> should be _so_ distinct from the system?  For example, don't most
> people run the postmaster from the system startup scripts, and isn't
> that the same thing?  How did those commands get inserted into the
> startup scripts if not by root?

Well, we have to weigh the value of moving it to /var/run vs. the
hardship for people who don't have root access.  Even if only 5% don't
have root access, that is a lot of people.

--
Bruce Momjian
maillist@candle.pha.pa.us

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster crash and .s.pgsql file